Lucy Abillama & Synkers - Intro Video

Here’s my video:

Super excited to meet everyone of you and to learn about your projects :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello @lucy,

Nice e-meeting you :blush:

Congrats on launching the online tutoring platform! :partying_face: I am interested to know more about how it is different from using Zoom. Also, does it work in UAE as most VOIPs are blocked (we’re looking for some solutions for a client there)?

Good luck!

Hey Lucy!

It’s amazing how you were able to provide 1000s of job opportunities! Keep it up!

However, I just couldn’t help but wonder whether monitoring and managing the sessions is within your scope; if so, how do you manage to do that and ensure your tutors’ credibility?

Hey! I started off as your early tutors back in the summer of 2016. Good to see you guys in this competition :slight_smile:
Indeed, as @Rawaneaffara mentioned, can’t tutors detach from the app and keep the students to themselves?

2 Likes

1000 jobs ! Great goal and i hope you achieve it
Best of luck :heart:

Good point, Mike! A friend of mine actually did do that. I thought it was unethical, yet inevitable. In my opinion, I think that teachers and students need some sort of reward system that encourages them to use Synkers consistently.

@lucy I find it a Good Concept. I wonder what type of trainings do you conduct for the tutors, how do you identify their skills as tutors? How Do you manage the quality of work ? And whats your business model , how do you sustain yourself?

I remember they bad a reward system put in place, depending on the number of hours tutored. However, being the control freak that I am :sweat_smile:, I would rather have all the session on video (I’m talking about online sessions on the platform). In that case, they could review the video footage for any suspicion.

Hi @bassel,

Same here :slight_smile:
Thanks! Actually, due to the COVID-19 outbreak, some VoIPs are now enabled in the UAE (Zoom, Webex, etc.).
While Zoom is an excellent tool for video conferencing, our platform also includes an interactive whiteboard which enables a more interactive session between the tutor and the students.

I actually met Ibrahim a couple of months ago, and I love what you do at Cherpa! Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Mariam,

Nice to meet you :slight_smile:
All our tutors have to apply on the Synkers application. The form requires supporting documents to make sure they have the skills needed, from teaching (transcripts/ teaching diplomas) to communication skills (which is validated through a pre-recorded video interview). Once they are background-checked and approved, they have to undergo a training session with Synkers (for operational purposes), and the British Council (for teaching methodologies), before they become listed on the application.

Our system and customer support team guide our clients to make sure they are matched with profiles which suit their exact requirements, and a thorough follow up procedure is set in place (virtually through our system reporting, and manually through our educational consultants) to ensure they are getting the results needed.
Our tutors will get paid the exact amount they ask for, we charge a 20% commission on top of their hourly rate.

1 Like

Thank you @Saleh_Attal <3
Good luck to you too :slight_smile:

Hi @Rawaneaffara @Mike_Harb ,

Nice to meet you guys :slight_smile:
@Mike_Harb I love the fact that tutored with us before, how was your experience??

You guys are totally right, that’s why we worked on several initiatives to make sure they are enticed to have the sessions on Synkers.
First of all, tutors have to build a credible profile for students to book them, since they have to choose them based on several criteria, like: number of hours tutored, number of students tutored, rating and reviews which they have received from other students, etc. Our system automatically favors most credible profiles at the top.

All tutors have to undergo a training with Synkers and the British Council, and they receive the British Council certificate once they complete 50 hours on Synkers.

We have also introduced prepaid packaged where students can buy a bundle of hours at a discounted rate.

@Rawaneaffara I completely agree regarding the reward system, I think it’s a great idea! In terms of monitoring/managing the sessions, our system and customer support team guide our clients to make sure they are matched with profiles which suit their exact requirements, and a thorough follow up procedure is set in place (virtually through our system reporting, and manually through our educational consultants) to ensure they are getting the results needed.

1 Like

It was quite nice, I spent the next four years tutoring multiple courses at AUB. I’m glad for the opportunity that Synkers offered me :slight_smile: Good luck with your next steps!

1 Like

I don’t know anything about the reward system, was it monetized? A lot of teachers may find it hard to teach if the session is being recorded.

A monetized reward system may be efficient! Hope my feedback was helpful, Lucy!

Wishing you all the best :pray:t2: